TERM: LIFE OF COPYRIGHT
CATALOG: This is the BMI writer’s share of Fred Scrugg’s catalog that includes songs performed by Travis Scott, Onyx, Notorious B.I.G., and more.
RIGHTS INCLUDED: 100% OF THE SELLERS WRITERS SHARE PAID BY BMI
TYPE OF ASSETS: WRITERS SHARE
LAST 12 MONTHS REVENUE: $6,803
UPDATED REVENUE WITH Q2 2020
This catalog of Hip Hop/Rap is performed mainly by Onyx with a mix of new and old songs, like Notorious B.I.G.’s 1994 song “Gimme The Loot” as well as the theme to the 2016 movie “Never Back Down: No Surrender”. A bonus here is that “Point Em Out” was used on LAW AND ORDER SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT in the episode REDEMPTION IN HER CORNER which aired on Feb 6, 2020. This catalog has also been heavily synched in other movies and television shows which bolster the strength and longevity of potential income.
Looking at the overall revenue we can see that it has been growing a bit and then had a good pop in Q3 2018 with the release of Sicko Mode from Travis Scott ft. Drake. Onyx also released an album in 2018 which also gave the other Onxy songs a bounce as well as income from TV and Movies that you will see later in the analysis.
Looking at the details, there is a lot to unpack here, almost all good.
- 75% of the revenue is coming from these top songs, so we can really see the details of almost all the revenue
- The songs from 2009 and earlier have all been flat and some increasing. This represents 48% of the overall catalog
- Slam the1993 platinum hit single from Onyx, is just one of many songs from that group which is still very active today with albums in 17,18, and 2019
- “Point Em Out” was just on Law and Order SVU, so this is a new long term income stream as that show will last for years in reruns
- “Do U Bac Down” was in the theme for the movie “Never Back Down: No Surrender” As the movie goes through rotations on different networks you can see that in 2017 it made just a couple of dollars and in 2019 $476. This is all upside as that movie continues to get played on networks etc.
- Sicko Mode by Travis Scott ft. Drake, has very long term potential as well
- See long term income opportunities from TV and Movie placements below
Long Term Income from TV and Movie Placements – looking at the chart above we see that another underlying pillar of this catalog is that its music has been in additional movies like the iconic “8 Mile” to “Fist Fight”, “Blade” and TV shows like Brooklyn Nine Nine, Moesha, Super Store, Cleveland and more. This offers even more coverage of long term revenue opportunities.
Income by type shows the normal music providing services, XM, Spotify, Apple, Radio, etc. In addition, we see all of the other income streams from the movie and TV show. NBC being the biggest one for this last quarter from the Law and Order SVU episode.
The more I dug into the details of this catalog the more I liked the long-term potential. Just looking at the normal music income, these are great legacy songs with a bit of new with the Travis Scott song and some new Onyx songs from 2019. But the real strength comes from the continued use of these songs in movies and television shows. These are shows that will be generating income for years, like the iconic “8 mile” and others.
For anyone looking to start investing in catalogs, this is one to have.
Detailed Data is HERE.
|POINT EM OUT||2018||Onyx||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMH3tp75WDg|
|SICKO MODE||2018||Travis Scott ft. Drake||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ONRf7h3Mdk|
|DO U BAC DOWN||2016||Never Back Down: No Surrender|
|THROW YA GUNZ||2009||Onyx||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQmfzGf9904|
|GIMME THE LOOT||1994||Notorious B.I.G.||https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XHekAPgC98|